The Magma 2020/21 Poetry Competition is now open for entries in both categories.
The Judge’s Prize – poems of 11 to 50 lines
The Editors’ Prize – poems of up to 10 lines
Award-winning poet Theresa Lola is the judge for the Judge’s Prize for poems of 11 to 50 lines and she will be reading all entries – there are no sifters.
The Editors’ Prize is judged by a panel of Magma Editors and is for poems of up to 10 lines. The prize money for both competitions is the same, so double your chances and try your luck at both.
First prize for the Judge’s and Editors’ Prize is £1000, second prize £300 and third prize £150. The six prize-winning poems will be published in Magma and there will also be five special mentions for the Judge’s Prize and for the Editors’ Prize. Winning and commended poets will be invited to read their poems at a Magma Competition Event in Spring 2021.
Last year's winning poems are published in the Act Your Age Issue (Issue 77) available now from our website.
HOW TO ENTER VIA SUBMITTABLE
You may enter as many poems as you like in each category, but you must submit for each category in separate documents. Please upload the poems in one document for each category. Please name the documents Judge’s Prize or Editors’ Prize as applicable and submit all of the poems for that category in the relevant document.
Do not include your name or any other identifying marks on the poems themselves.
You can then pay for all entries by picking the appropriate payment amount for total poems submitted. Subscriber and non-subscriber entries will be cross-referenced against our subscriber list and incorrectly paid entries may be disqualified. You can subscribe to Magma from £22.00 via our Get Magma page but please do this before you enter. The Act Your Age Issue (Issue 77) edited by Gboyega Odubanjo, Selina Rodrigues, and Christine Webb contains last year's winning poems and will remain the current issue until Issue 78 is published early November 2020, after which it will be available as a back issue.
The entry fees are £5 for the first poem, £4 for the second and £3.50 for the third and each subsequent poem. Magma magazine subscribers benefit from reduced fees: £4 for the first poem, £3 for the second, and £2.50 for the third and each subsequent poem. The competition closes on 15 January 2021.
• No alterations can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded.
• All poems must be previously unpublished.
• The judge’s and editors’ decisions are final and no correspondence can be entered into. No entrant may win more than one prize in each section.
• Should the named judge be unable to proceed, we aim to substitute an alternative judge of equivalent standing as a poet.
• Prizewinners will be notified individually before 1 March 2021. The results will also be published on the Magma Poetry website after the prize-giving event.
• Copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Magma Poetry has the right to first publication of the winning poems in print and/or online within six months of the competition deadline.
• Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the rules will result in disqualification.