Magma is celebrating its 25th anniversary next year and in the run-up to this milestone we are inviting you to enter our first ever pamphlet competition, with the chance of getting published and a celebratory launch reading in 2019.
1st prize: publication of the winning pamphlet + launch reading.
Poets on the shortlist of 10 will each get a paragraph of feedback. The winner and 3 others will have a poem published in Magma. All shortlisted poets will have a poem published on our website.
Deadline: Tuesday 25th September 2018
Judge: Magma Editors’
· Please send us 18-24 pages of poems.
· Poems should be typed in single spacing on one side of A4 paper and in a font size of 12.
· Start each poem on a new page. Maximum 40 lines per page. If you include a poem sequence in which the poems are 14 lines long or less, then you may put two on a page.
· All poems must be your original work. They may have been published in magazines (paper or online) and anthologies but not in a pamphlet or collection.
· Poems must be in the English language or any of its dialects. They must be for adults and must not be translations of someone else’s work.
· Your pamphlet must have a title which should appear on each page. Please do a front page with the pamphlet title and list of contents.
· Entries must be anonymous. Please DO NOT put your name or contact details on any of the pages. And don’t give us any other information (e.g. magazine credits).
· If submitting through Submittable: please put the title of your pamphlet in the title box; do not include your name. In the contact details box list your name, address, email, phone number. The document you upload may be a Pdf; Word .doc or .docx.
· Anyone may enter unless they advise or work for Magma.
· Simultaneous submissions are allowed but please let us know straight away if your pamphlet has been accepted elsewhere. The fee is not refundable.
· No changes can be made once you have submitted the pamphlet.
· We won’t return your pamphlet so please keep a copy.
How to enter
· The deadline is midnight UK time on Tuesday 25 September.
· Entry costs £22, or £16 if you are a Magma subscriber. Non-subscribers may pay the subscribers’ rate if they take out a subscription when they enter: https://magmapoetry.com/buy-magma/
· Payment must be in pounds sterling.
· You may enter as many pamphlets as you like.
Judging and Results
· Entries will be read by a panel of Magma Editors’ to decide on a shortlist of 10.
· The Magma board will choose the winning pamphlet. A paragraph of feedback will be provided to all 10 poets.
· The winner and shortlisted poets will be contacted in November/December 2018.
· The winning pamphlet will be published by Magma in early 2019. Copyright will remain with the author. Magma will have the right to use any of the poems for publicity.
· Magma will hold a launch in London. We’d expect the winner to help with organisation and publicity for this.
· A poem from the winning pamphlet and one each from three shortlisted pamphlets will be published in Magma magazine. These poems will also be published on our website, along with a poem from each of the other shortlisted pamphlets.